- Before Installation
- Matters to Be Concerned During Design
- Thermal Expansion and Contraction
- Installation of Screw and Rubber
- Installation of Aluminum Profile
- Installation of Ventilate Canopy
- Maintenance of Cleaning PC Sheet
- Choose the right thickness of board, and the tolerant radius of curvature.
- Please leave more space for the expansion, and mind the deepness of lodging in boards, as Chart A.
- Polycarbonat sheet should not be placed on the cement floor or cement wall.
- Clean the profile and keep the surface neat and smooth.
- Please use suitable silicone and pad except PVC material.
- If making a mark before cutting was necessary, please mark on the protective film. If you must mark on the Polycarbonat sheet, please use crayon, and try not to use sharp implements.
- During the cutting process, please avoid the vibration and keep the board steady. Automatic tools, like Tungsten Carbide saws, are the suitable choices for cutting. In addition, please don’t tear the protective film to avoid leaving the scratchs on the Polycarbonat sheet during the cutting process.
- Remove the protective film after installation.
|Unsupported length of shorter side (cm)||Thickness of boards (mm)||Deepness of lodging in (mm)||Space for expansion (mm)|
|60 - 90||4.5||12.7||3.2|
|90 - 120||6||16||4.8|
|120 - 150||10||19||4.8|
|150 - 180||12||22.2||6.4|
|180 - 240||12||25.4||8|
|240 - 300||12||31.8||9.5|
Matters to Be Concerned During Design
- Mechanical strength and expansion influenced from temperature:
Although the temperature of deformation is high, the mechanical strength will be influenced by the difference of temperature. As the results, please make sure to know the physical property under working temperature. The coefficient of expansion of PC plastic sheets is 7 x 0.00001/°C. This is about six times of iron’s coefficient, or eight times of glass's coefficient, so please mind the space for the expansion.
- Deflection after load:
Shocks insistence of PC plastic sheets is good, but the deflection after load is high. As the results, please concern the limitation of deflection when you decide thickness and dimensions of PC plastic sheet. The breaking strength of PC plastic sheet is not necessary.
- Material of pad:
Under the stress, Polycarbonate boards will break when PC plastic sheets stay with pads, made in some certain chemical material or plastic material, and be pressed strongly. It’s necessary to use the suitable hole pads and other components supplied by SUN ASIA.
- Cutting edge and stress centralization:
As we know, the strength of PC plastic sheet is high. If there was a hole, the strength would be lower because of the stress centralization. Please use hole pads while fixing screws.
Thermal Expansion and Contraction
Polycarbonate roofing materials usually break because of oil sludge. Another main reason is thermal expansion and contraction. Coefficient of expansion of Polycarbonate roofing materials is 7 x 10-5 cm/cm/°C.
Take a 3500mm board for example, the effect of boards is 3500 x 0.00007 x 15°C = 3.675mm under the difference of 15°C, as the temperature conditions are 23°C and 38°C.
As the results, if the boards were set up during the noon, there would be noisy sound when Polycarbonate roofing materials shrink at night; if the boards were set up during the afternoon, boards would wave and deform when the temperature is higher at the day time.
Polycarbonate roofing materials expand and shrink day after day. If the stress of Polycarbonate roofing materials cannot be released, it will break and then leaking will happen.
Installation of Screw and Rubber
- When installing outside or the difference of temperature is larger than 8°C, it's necessary to enlarge the internal diameter of hole to have enough space for thermal expansion. Also, place the suitable hole pad suggested from SUN ASIA could leave enough space.
- SUN ASIA suggests to use the hole pad provided from SUN ASIA for every hole position in order to decrease the press from the head of screws or rivets.
- If necessary, please fill the hole with neutral Silicone and also cover outside of hole. It’s not only to prevent the cleanser and other irreconcilable chemical material to touch the boards, but also not to make boards break.
- Using Polycarbonate or Aluminum profile for width and length of pc building materials to enhance the force of fixing. Please remember to leave the space of thermal expansion.
- The hole pad designed from SUN ASIA has different external diameters. It helps to make pc building materials get together with screw tightly and also leave enough space for thermal expansion at the same time.
- Don't fix the screw too tight, or it's easy to cause stress to pc building materials.
- Please don't use hole pads or other pads made by PVC.
- Please don't use paint.
Installation of Aluminum Profile
- SUN ASIA profile two-pieces-set contains upper profile and underneath profile.
- After finish basic frames structure, please fix the underneath aluminum profile on the frames. It will be better to place the rubber in the position of fixing screw on the transverse frame so that we can place the hole pads easily on the consistent highness.
- The elastic characteristic of rubber for the aluminum profile provides more space for thermal expansion. Rubbers are also water-proof, soundproof, and installed easily.
- Using aluminum profile can prevent the Polycarbonate boards from breaking because of the oil sludge from the deformation of the frames.
- Please make sure the Polycarbonate boards face the sunshine with the anti-UV-coating side to avoid discoloring from original color to yellowish one. It’s also necessary to place the Polycarbonate boards steady on the underneath profile.
- Fix the upper profiles to the underneath profiles to keep the Polycarbonate boards in firm, and then fix the screw at the two sides of profiles.
- When installing Polycarbonate boards with larger size, we need to fix screws to enhance the force of fixing so that we can avoid some problems caused by fierce wind. It’s a better choice to put the conducted holes in the position of fixing screws with 9.5 mm drills.
- SUN ASIA suggests to use hole pads made by SUN ASIA. This proprietary material can provide more elastic space for thermal expansion and make it easier to adjust the highness of Polycarbonate boards so that the surface will become smoother and neater.
- Because the hole pads has different external diameter, there will be better seal tightness after fastening the screws into hole pads.
- Anti-UV coating face is at membranes with print side. Please place that side toward to sunshine. Also, get rid of membranes after finish installation, or membranes would be ripped off not easily after exposing to the sunshine.
Installation of Ventilate Canopy
In the traditional way, the temperature inside would become sultry without air convection when the sunshine is strong. It's not related to what material of boards people use.
The special frames of ventilate canopy, design by SUN ASIA, can exhaust the hot air and then cool air would replace automatically via original air convection. Shutter Twinwall Sheet, patent owned by SUN ASIA, can lead in the soft light and insulate the heat at the same time. If we use Shutter Twinwall Sheets with the special frames, the combination would work most perfect.
The special frames for SUN ASIA ventilate canopy have holes every 50cm. These holes can exhaust hot air effectively. The special frames for the shelters around the buildings have holes every 30cm.
Steps of Installing Ventilate Skylightscanopy:
STEP 1: Lock SUN-40C into the position where you want to.
- Please check the horizontal by using level.
STEP 2: Fix SUN-76.
- The different height between SUN-76 and SUN-40C can be adjusted depending on the length of ventilate skylight. The difference of heights is usually suggested around 20cm to 35cm in order to drain away water more smoothly.
- Beside of the function of draining water away, the SUN-76 could be used as beam by fixing square pillars under SUN-76.
STEP 3: Please make suitable space on the SUN-76.
- Before fixing SUN-71 on SUN-76, please make space around 6cm to 7cm length on SUN-76 by using hand saw.
- Before fixing SUN-72 on SUN-76, please make space with 8.3cm length on SUN-76 by using hand saw.
STEP 4: Fix SUN-71 and SUN-72 on SUN-76 and SUN-40C by using screws.
- Before fixing, put a black resin or silicone at the place where two frames engaged in order to have water-proof function.
- Please fix screws into the end of aqueducts (two screws each side). Please also fix two screws underneath the SUN-76, and make sure that frames are fixed steady.
STEP 5: At fixing SUN-74 or SUN-81, the fixing positions are provided on the top of frames and underneath of frames. Please choose the more convenient way.
- There are two choices for crosswise frames, SUN-74 or SUN-81.
- Compute: The width of SUN-71 and SUN-72 is 5cm. If the width of the canopy is 500cm, and it’s separated into four parts, the length of crosswise frames would be118.75cm, 1/4 [500-(5 x 5)].
- In order to make sure the length of crosswise frames is very precise, please saw the frames at steady position. In addition, please make marks before sawing in order to get the precise length of crosswise frames.
STEP 6: Fix the SUN-77 to support boards.
- SUN-77 can support the boards to adjust the general height. Place SUN-77 on the two crosswise frames fixed on the two ends of Ventilate Skylight, and then place smaller SUN-77 or hole pads on other crosswise frames to decrease the cost of Ventilate Skylight.
STEP 7: Check if all of the pads on their position. SUN-78 also need to fix into SUN-40C.
STEP 8: Place boards on the frames. The UV-coating side must face the sunshine.
STEP 9: Choose the right thickness of clamps, and then knock clamps into the frames via a small wooden cube.
- Put some washing-up liquid on the rubber, and then knock clamps into the frames via a small wooden cube.
- Choices of clamps: SUN-79, SUN-80, SUN-87, SUN-88.
STEP 10: Fill Silicone into the position of placing boards on SUN-40C.
STEP 11: Fill Silicone at the two ends of SUN-71 and SUN-72.
STEP 12: Fill Silicone into the place where one frame and SUN-76 are engaged.
Maintenance of Cleaning PC Sheet
- Please don’t rip off the membranes before finish the installation of Polycarbonate laminate. In addition, please keep the membranes stay with Polycarbonate laminate when we still need to fix the frames or paint some color on frames.
- Please use soft cloth or sponge with neutral cleanser to wipe the dust or stain off the surface of Polycarbonate laminate. Then, wash Polycarbonate laminate with water. After all, dry the surface with soft cloth.
- Oil material or plastic material which contains PVC or rubber might make Polycarbonate laminate craze or break.
- Please don’t wash Polycarbonate laminate with cleanser which contain benzene, gasoline, acetone, or carbon tetrachloride. Also, please don’t wash at the same time of curving the Polycarbonate laminate in force, or flaws will happen.
- If there was material of filling, oil, paint, etc. staining or attaching to Polycarbonate laminate, please make sure to use soft cloth with alcohol or propyl alcohol to wipe off before get harden.
- It's easy to get scratches on Polycarbonate laminate so please avoid putting Polycarbonate laminate together with scraper or other sharp tools.