Properties of Polycarbonate1. Property of Heat:
- Temperature of Heat deformation: The temperature that causes Polycarbonate panels to deform is 130°C, and the highest temperature for continuous using is about 120°C.
- Coefficient of Linear Expansion: Polycarbonate is one of resin which has smaller coefficient of liner expansion.
- Conductivity of Heat: There is no big difference between heat conductivity of Polycarbonate and other resin. It’s about 1/4 of Glass, 1/300 of Iron, 1/1000 of Aluminum, 1/12000 of Steel. Polycarbonate is a better material to keep warmth.
- Temperature of Embrittlement: For embrittlement, Polycarbonate is lower than normal resin. It’s about -135°C, and the lowest temperature for continuous using is about -30°C.
- Combustion: Polycarbonate is one of resin which gets burn not easily. During the process of heating up Polycarbonate, Polycarbonate would not produce toxic gas.
- Weather Ability: When normal Polycarbonate panels are exposed outdoor for a long time, normal Polycarbonate panel become yellowish and crack on the surface. The surface of Polycarbonate panel, made by SUN ASIA, is all coating with Anti-UV material. As the results, the optic property and mechanical property would not have significant changes even under the exposure for a long time.
- Diaphaneity: The diaphaneity of 1mm thickness clear Polycarbonate panel is above 85%, and the diaphaneity of 5mm thickness clear Polycarbonate panel is above 80%, similar with glass.
- Pull Resistance: Polycarbonate panel have better heat resistance. Even under 120°C, the pull resistance is still 350kgf/cm2.
- Modulus of Bending Resistance: Polycarbonate panel have better bending resistance. Polycarbonate panel would not break, even if the angle is 80° ~ 90°.
- As the thickness is the same, the sound insulation property of Polycarbonate panels is better than glass under the high frequency.
- At the same dimension, the weight of Polycarbonate board is half of glass. This can help us to save the cost of delivery and haul or construct more easily.
|Characteristics||Test Method||Unit||Polycarbonate Hollow Sheet Data||Polycarbonate Solid Sheet Data|
|lzod Impact Strength (Notched)||ASTM D256||kg • cm/cm (1/4")||15||14.3|
|Light Transmission||ASTM D1003||% (3mm thick)||88||89|
|Specific Gravity||ASTM D792||-||1.2||1.2|
|Coefficient of Linear Expansion||ASTM D696||x10-5 cm/cm/°C||6 ~ 8||6 ~ 8|
|Service Temperature||-||°C||-40°C ~ +120°C||-40°C ~ +120°C|
|Thermal Conductivity||ASTM C177||W/m°C||0.2||0.2|
|Tensile Strength||ASTM D638||kg/cm²||630||630|
|Flexural Strength||ASTM D790||kg/cm²||920||920|
|Flexural Modulus||ASTM D790||kg • cm/cm(1/4")||24000||24000|
|Tensile Stress at Break||ASTM D638||%||110||110|
|Rockwell Hardness||ASTM D785||M Scale||M-77||M-77|
|Heat Distortion Temperature||ASTM D648||°C (4.6 Kg/cm², 120°C/hr)||136||136|
|Flammability||UL 94||-||1.5mm HB||3mm HB|
Chemicals Incompatible to the PC Sheet
|1. Acetic aldehyde||2. Strong acetic acid||3. Acetone||4. Acrylonitrile||5. Ammonia water|
|6. Ammonium fluoride sat'd||7. Ammonium chloride sat'd||8. Benzene||9. Benzoic acid||10. Benzyl alcohol|
|11. Brominated calcium nitrate||12. Carbolic acid||13. Carbon disulfide||14. Carbon tetrachloride||15. 5% potassium hydroxide solution|
|16. 5% sodium hydroxide solution||17. Chlorobenzene||18. Chloroform||19. Lilac||20. Cresol|
|21. Cyclohexanone||22. Cyclohexene||23. Dimethylformamide||24. Dioxin||25. Ethylamine|
|26. Ether||27. PVC||28. 2-Ethanolamine||29. 30% formic acid||30. Gasoline|
|31. Methacrylic acid methyl||32. Nitrobenzene||33. Nucleolus||34. Pyridine||35. Petroleum|
|36. Benzyl ethanol||37. Phenol||38. Chloroperoxide||39. Phosphorus trichloride||40. Styrene|
|41. Tetrachloroethane||42. THF||43. Tetralin||44. Thiophenes||45. Toluene|
|46. 10% trichloroamine||47. Xylene||48. Ammonium hydroxide||49. Chlorohydrocarbon||50. Ketone|
|51. Methyl-ethyl ketone||52. Dichloromethane||53. Ethylene hydroxide||54. Sodium hydroxide||55. Nitric acid|
|56. Cement||57. Oil|